Thursday, October 13, 2011

Week 6 - Podcasting and Digital Storytelling & Week 7- Visual Literacies

 So, I had heard of Podcasts and of Flickr before doing the readings in this class.  Interestingly enough though, I had never actually listened to a podcast or looked on Flickr.  I wonder why I have knowledge that resources exist yet I choose not to utilize them, or at least check them out.  To be honest I feel a little embarrassed at my own stubbornness not to try new things.  Not that these tools are altogether that new, but I feel comfortable in my skills using the resources I already have, and they've worked fine up until now, so who's complaining right?  I empathize deeply with well experienced practicing teachers who confront the dilemma of introducing modern technologies into their classroom.  I'm young and fairly hip to the world of Web 2.0, and I'm even apprehensive about using tools which are new to me.  However, once I get over myself and do a little brushing up and test driving of my own, I usually find myself wondering, why it took me so long or what I had been worried for.  I guess what I'm saying on my soap box is, that I understand how easy it is to drag one's feet when entertaining the ideas of utilizing all of these web technologies being discussed in our course.  It is just key to try to learn and make them as available as possible in our classroom because while we may drag our feet, technology only gains momentum.  We have a responsibility to teach students about the resources and tools on the web that they'll need to use in order to be successful in "the real world". 

Chapter 8 of Richardson's text goes into depth about the use of pod-casting and live streaming for classroom teachers.  He explains the simple nature of how podcasting came to be, as well as how simple it is for anyone to use.  Recording is just as easy as rehearsing once or twice and then publishing for others to hear.  It is the perfect example of students teaching students or learners representing their learning in transparent ways.  In the article Podcasting in the Classroom: A Sound Success it speaks to a German school teacher who teachings English and music.  He utilized his interest of recording to introduce podcasting in the classroom.  This gave students more interest and time available to practice their English language skills.  Videocasting is also a popular tool for building interest in the classroom.  Youtube is extremely popular and regularly viewed by people of all ages.  What is nice is the educator spin of youtube for classroom streaming of videos called, teachertube.com.  The usefulness of the internet and live/real-time streaming puts whats happening in the world directly into the hands of students.  When late breaking news is occurring students and classrooms can have access to current events in the moment. 
Utilizing digital tools to incorporate literacy instruction in different forms of media make it possible for differently strength learners to all excel.

Chapter 7 of Richardon's text is focused on the utility of Flickr, aptly titled "Fun with Flickr." Flickr is an online location where one can upload images or videos and share them with smaller or larger communities.  What is particularly neat is the Common's feature of Flickr that many libraries around the world combine their archives together.  It is wonderful because people can make corrections about errors in achieved data, or add comments on the people or places in the photos.  Flickr can be used in the classroom in many great ways.  Field trips can be displayed, classroom events, school concerts, or plays.  Great works of all types can be displayed and shared with parents, student's relatives, the community surrounding the school, or even with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment