Thursday, October 27, 2011

Week 9 - Internet workshops/projects/inquiry & webquests

Today is my Birthday!!!  I feel older, no big deal.  However, my husband surprised me by taking me out to a big breakfast with a big group of my friends, leaving my homework to be completed a little bit late today.  Whoops.

Halat's article about using WebQuests as a good teaching technique was really interesting and informative.  I did use webquests in two or three lab experiences for biology during high school.  Other than my person experience using one I hadn't really heard much about there use in the classroom setting.  I like how webquests are described as being a great influence on both students and teachers.  I think it is nice to consider tools that are educational and beneficial to both party members of the classroom.  According to the article, "A Webquest is a computer based teaching and learning model in which learners are actively involved in an activity or situation and use the Internet as a resource."  This is a really great tool for how my science teachers applied it with chemistry and biology concepts.  I also think that it could be easy generated for historical information as well as a tool in literacy.  A feature that helps this tool fit into the category of a Web 2.0 resources, is that it provides high degrees of collaboration within an engaging setting.   I also like the description of the utility of webquests in either the long or short term sense in the classroom.  The goals and level of synthesis of information is altered based on the time expected to be spent using a webquest for learning.  I really appreciated Halat's honesty by pointed out both positive and negative features of using webquests. I think that it is fair that he posses the possible weaknesses of leaving students with a set list of tasks to accomplish without the structure and control of the regular classroom setting.  It is realistic to consider that students may easily become confused or distracted by using the internet for non related surfing.

George Lipscomb's also writes about using WebQuests for a middle school classroom setting.  This article states that learning has changed little in the classroom setting regardless of the availability of new technologies. There is advice about the importance of making history more personalized for students in order for them to retain the information more beneficially.   Previously, in class I located really interesting recordings and videos from American history on a PBS website.  I think that utilizing clips and audio bites like these as part of a webquest might make history learning more interesting.  Another nice feature of this article is the advice for teachers to follow prior to and  while implementing the use of WebQuests in their classroom. 

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday!!! Enjoy the rest of the night after we get out of class!

    ReplyDelete